Children's Advocate Diahann Gordon Harrison is questioning whether the abduction of a newborn from the Victoria Jubilee Hospital last week was part of a human trafficking operation.
Mrs Gordon-Harrison told RJR News on Monday night that all angles must now be considered in the investigation of the child's disappearance.
Investigators have been trying to find the baby boy and the woman who took him from a ward at the hospital last Wednesday.
Mrs Gordon Harrison said her office has launched its own probe and is monitoring developments closely.
She said at least three motives for the abduction had to be considered: whether it was part of a trade in human beings, whether it was motivated by someone’s desire to have a child because the person cannot herself give birth, or whether it was done by someone with a mental health issue.
She told RJR News that she waas awaiting a written report from the hospital.
The administration of the Victoria Jubilee Hospital has responded to a complaint from the father of the missing baby that it has gone silent on the abduction.
In an interview with RJR News on Sunday, Sinclair Hutton, the father of the baby said he was perturbed by the alleged lack of communication.
But Colleen Wright, CEO of Victoria Jubilee, is insisting that the hospital has been speaking with the mother, “and we have advised her that the police is investigating; as soon as we have any information this will be passed on to her.”
The latest such contact was on Monday when deputy CEO spoke to the mother of the baby, she told RJR News.