Nestlé , which earlier this week won the Jamaica Chamber of Commerce award for Best of Chamber — Large, is to officially open its new corporate office and distribution centre at Ferry Pen, St Catherine, on Monday.
Given the nature of the business and the layout of the property, areas have been zoned, indicating access for different groups of personnel.
• Loading docks with eight dock levellers and commander system with dock locks and stop lights — used to enter containers and restrain the boxes to prevent unwanted movement and accidents.
• Automated fire detection, alarm and suppression system remotely monitored by the security command centre at the front of the property.
• Distribution centre uses an RF Warehouse Management System (WMS) for process automation. This reduces picking and dispatch errors and improves traceability.
• Distribution centre houses all its staff, has its own meeting room, restrooms, and documentation centre.
• The container yard can accommodate 30 containers (40ft and 20ft) and 10 large trucks. Has a certified and calibrated weighbridge and is monitored under the CCTV system.
• Mechanical workshop outfitted with all the equipment required to effect on-site repairs to the powered industrial trucks. This includes a five-tonne hoist.
• Haulier room outfitted with an online number system to prevent unnecessary access to hauliers in the warehouse and moving though the container yard. This, along with the WMS, allows loading to be reduced from approximately one hour to 20 minutes (large loads, smaller loads are less).
• 180,000-litre water tank that can supply the entire property with potable water for three full days. It is also attached to the fire suppression system for the warehouse.
• Back-up generator to supply 750Kva power to the facility for three full days.
• 24-hour electronic and static security with 102 cameras throughout the facility, two security posts (front and back) with electronic arms and barriers.